Bishop Wightman was bishop of the Methodist group under the jurisdiction of the Dublin District. Until they formed their own church in 1871, the Methodists were worshiping in an old building called "the old Union Church" with the Baptists and Presbyterians. Since the Methodists owned the old Union Church, in 1880 they tore it down and built a new wooden church. The first parsonage was built in 1890. By 1910, this building was too small and dilapidated to serve. While the present brick Gothic style was being built, services were held in a tent. The cornerstone for this building was laid in June 1911, by Bishop H. C. Morrison of Leesburg, Florida. The first service was held on August 4, 1912. In 1917, the church was equipped with heating facilities, the floor was laid, the choir loft lowered, proper ventilation afforded and memorial windows installed. Bishop Warren A. Candler, of Atlanta, dedicated the completed work on August 31, 1919. The parsonage was rebuilt in 1949-1950, and dedicated by Bishop Arthur J. Moore. A church school building was completed on March 8, 1953, and opened with a record attendance of 258. In 1962, a Mission Sunday school was established on Currie Street and preaching services began on September 5, 1965. District Superintendent J. C. Varnell, Jr. dedicated the Mission on May 5, 1968. On December 28, 1974, fire desolated the inside of the church. Eminent Bishop William R. Cannon dedicated the revitalized structure on February 1, 1976.