Bishop Arthur J. Moore wanted to start a church on the west side of Jesup and, with the help of Rev. Tom Whiting, pastor of Jesup FUMC, this dream became a reality. Rev. Burns Wills headed the project and members of Jesup FUMC provided a lot, borrowed a tent, chairs, a piano, and table. Rev. Bill Kelley preached each evening of the week throughout the campaign and the first meeting was held on February 26, 1956. There were 56 charter members with 33 coming from Jesup FUMC. The thunderstorms were so violent that the tent was damaged and services had to be moved to the Orange Street school cafeteria. A new church was founded under the ministry of Rev. Lucius Powell at a cost of $25,000 and the first service was held on February 17, 1957. Rev. David Blaylock came to Epworth UMC in 1965 and the first service in a new sanctuary was held on November 27, 1966. The Lillian E. Nichols wing was dedicated in February 1975, and Kathy Kight joined the church as an organist and choir teacher. With the help of pianist Faye Smith, a choir began. In 1982, the Satilla congregation merged with the Epworth congregation on the Epworth Charge. At the 35th anniversary, Epworth became a station church and, under the leadership of Rev. Brad Brady, the Good Samaritan Center, a community project set up as a means of providing aid to those in need, was created. The educational wing was dedicated on October 26, 1997, and an Allen Organ was purchased in 2005. The nursery was renovated in 2014.
In December 1994, a tradition of presenting a live nativity to the community began. Epworth partnered with the Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops in 1999 and ten members participated in mission trips to locations ranging from Louisiana, Kenya, Mexico, Ecuador, and the Dominican Republic in 2004. In 2011, ministries included BackPack Buddies, Boys' and Girls' Clubs, Operation Christmas Child, and Fair Haven baskets.