This church was organized in 1872, two years after the town was incorporated. The first pastors were Rev. John L. Willis and Rev. William Kennedy. In 1873, a Sunday school was organized by the Methodists and the Baptists together. The church served for a public school, as well. The first church was a square wooden building with a steeple. An old letter written by a member told of moving to Jesup in 1889 when the new church was being built
. When the membership outgrew the building, it was converted to a parsonage. In 1924-1925, a Sunday school annex was added and, in 1930, the old sanctuary moved to build the new sanctuary. Early after its organization, Jesup became a station church with its own full-time minister.
In 1952, air conditioning was added under Rev. J. Alton Davis' pastorate. In 1954, under Rev. Tom Whiting, a new parsonage was built, the annex was torn down and the former parsonage sold. Working with Bishop Arthur J. Moore, Epworth Church started from Jesup First in 1956, with 106 members transferring and a donation of property. This church was put in the Statesboro District when it was formed in the mid-1960, and the preschool began in the early 1970s. Jesup FUMC celebrated its Centennial in 1972.