Kingsland First UMC - Coastal


History

In 1896, Henry King, for whom the town was named, deeded a lot for the Methodist Church. Members of Zion Methodist Church transferred their membership to this new church, a one-room wooden building. As the membership increased, the Kingsland School, across the street, was purchased and used for a church. In 1939, Mr. W. Chester King gave the land for the present church. While this was under construction, the Kingsland Mercantile building on Railroad Avenue was used for services until the building was completed in 1941. A memory chapel for members who served in World War II was included with pews from the first church and a section of Zion Church's altar rail used. A two-story educational building was built in 1954, and building a kitchen and offices and renovation of the sanctuary took place in 1980-1981. A new parsonage was built in 1978.
 
During the 1970s, the church added pew cushions, the church youth choir got new robes and the Acolyte program was started. August Camp Meeting services were begun: informal, no robes, and lots of gospel hymns. During 1981, the fortieth anniversary of the current church building was celebrated and the church started taping the service for playback on Kings Bay Cablevision. During the 1980s, the church started a newsletter, three new groups of youth were organized, the "early" 8:30 Sunday service began, and a church van was purchased. The church also supported missionaries in Brazil and Mexico. As of 1990, the church cemetery was maintained by the Zion Cemetery Maintenance Fund under the Trustees of the church. During the 1990s, a new Fellowship Hall, classrooms, and kitchen were constructed and the Church started several programs including Walk to Emmaus, Chrysalis for Youth, Disciple I and II classes, and weekly church suppers. The Church celebrated its 100th Anniversary in August 1996.

 

Location

120 E. William Avenue
Kingsland GA 31548

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters

Contact

Conference Office

735 Pierce Avenue - Macon, GA 31204

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-475-9286

Administrative Office

520 Professional Drive, Suite 1 - Macon, GA 31201

PO Box 13145 - Macon, GA 31208

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.