Methodist beginnings date from the circuit rider preaching at Archibald Baggs' stagecoach stop before the railroad was built in the mid-1800s. The village of Four-and-a-Half, located in Long County, soon became Johnston Station, named for Allen Johnston, whose slaves built the railroad. Services were held in homes and other buildings until a building was built on the old Macon-Darien Road. The land was deeded to the church in 1894. With the discovery of special clay, people moved to town, and the name was changed to Ludowici. The church building was moved to the present location in 1929. Enroute trouble developed, so Sunday service was held in the church in the middle of the street! In 1923, the Ludowici Circuit included Mt. Olivet
, Walthourville, Sand Hill (Middleton Memorial), and Ludowici. The educational annex was built in 1935 and, in 1949, a total renovation of the church plant was done. Bishop Moore dedicated the building in 1951. In the long history of this church, it has been part of many districts, Hinesville, Brunswick, Savannah, Waycross, as well as various circuits. Some of the churches on these circuits were Pine Grove, Dean's Grove, Reynolds Chapel, Wesley Chapel and Jonesville.