This church began with a Sunday school held on the top floor of a gin house in 1898 by Mr. and Mrs. J.O. Ward. When the Sunday school grew too large for that space, they moved to the seed room of the gin and from there to meeting in the Summerall Schoolhouse. Before the church was built, the Wards, for whom the church was named, would invite preachers to hold services. Many of the young men going to Pierce Collegiate Institute were invited to the services and to the dinner. Mr. Ward would come for them in a buggy. Among those who served before and while the church became a part of the conference were Rev. Jonathan Clough, D. A. Cook, T. N. Sweat, and C. C. Buchanan. Mr. Ward served as the Sunday School Superintendent from 1898-1937. Mrs. Ward taught Sunday school from 1898-1945.
Originally called Ward's Chapel, the name was changed to Ward Memorial in the mid-1940s when the church was on the Pierce Circuit. During the late 1970s, the church renovations included central heat/air, new carpeting, and a new kitchen. The church became a station church in 2004.