This church was organized in 1916, by meeting in the living room of Mr. and Mrs. W. M. Robinson and in a tent where the old drug store is located. The Robinsons had joined a Methodist church in Wayne County prior to moving to Nahunta and donated the land which is still used today. Trustees listed on the original deeds were J. B. Lewis, B. G. Middleton, and W. M. Robinson. Mr. Elliot Knox donated lumber to build the church and the material was hauled by workers from Lulaton using wagons and ox carts. The sanctuary was designed with "theater style seating" with a floor sloping down towards the pulpit which still exists today. In the beginning, there was no electricity and so Bill Roberson ran a line from his pump house to the church so that meetings could be held at night. Mrs. J. B. Lewis raised funds to purchase a steeple, which was added at a later date. For many years, the church was known as the "Hatchery" due to the number of young preachers being sent here as their first charge.
In 1967, Hoboken Methodist Church merged with Nahunta. Groundbreaking for the fellowship hall occurred on March 16, 1975, and the addition was completed and dedicated on April 4, 1976. A new entrance and connecting room between the sanctuary and the fellowship hall was built in 1999. New pews were purchased and dedicated on Homecoming 2000. The kitchen was renovated in 2001. The sanctuary was renovated in 2011 with termite damage being repaired, the walls being sheetrocked, stained glass windows being refurbished, and new chandeliers, donated by the UMW, hung. This project was completed in 2014. In October 2016, Hurricane Matthew damaged the roof of the sanctuary and social hall and blew the steeple off. A new steeple was installed on December 14, 2016.