This church was organized on March 25, 1888, under the oak trees at the home of William Manning Denton, with Rev. J. G. Ahern as pastor. The earliest members brought their own cowhide-bottom chairs to meet under the oak trees. The original building was made from wood sawed from logs at Denton Sawmill and the same building is still in use, having been remodeled in 1935, 1954 and 1976. During the early days, Bickley UMC was on the Bickley Circuit, Brunswick District. During the early 1900's, a parsonage was built across the road from the church using logs hewn from the Denton Sawmill. Rev. W. C. Embry was the first pastor to live in the new parsonage. In 1905, the parsonage was moved to Nicholls due to the proximity of the railroad. In 1964, a modern parsonage was built with Nicholls on a lot adjoining the Nicholls church.
Rev. F. J. Beverly, Jr., and Bill Denton took the old pews to Mr. Doug Jordan who re-planed the pews into what is used today. By 1954, using trees that had stood on the grounds of the church which had blown down, two Sunday School classrooms, a fellowship hall and kitchen were built. The social hall was named for Alvin Carter when it was built in 1956. This church was first named Mary's Chapel for Mr. Denton's wife, but the name changed for Rev. C. T. Bickley who was once the pastor. The Nicholls Charge, of which Bickley is a member, was named the Charge of the Year for the South Georgia Conference in 1976. Also, in 1976, a photo was taken of each church member and special activities.