Methodism came to Waycross with the preaching of Rev. H. P. Myers in the little house that served for school and church. At the close of his message, he opened the doors of the church and three ladies joined by certificate: Mrs. Susan Lott, Mrs. J. H. Redding, and Mrs. W. H. Thomas. Rev. Myers was pastor of the Blackshear Circuit. In 1874, the first building, wooden frame, was erected at State and Oak Streets. In 1892, the membership was 500 and a new church was planned. In January 1893, the ground was broken and the first services were held in October. Rev. George Matthews was the pastor and at the Annual Conference, he reported it paid for. The 1894 Annual Conference was held in it.
In 1942, the Paul Harley Memorial Building was added. This contained a chapel named for Bishop Arthur Moore who was converted at the altar of this church in 1909. In 1962, a new educational building was built. In 1971, a new sanctuary was built. It is of contemporary Gothic design featuring wood molding, antique brick, limestone and slate, soaring ceiling beams and faceted glass. The spire is seventy-five feet capped by a gold cross. In May 1973, the Arthur Moore Chapel and Cornerstone consecration service had three participating bishops: Bishop Moore, Bishop John Owen Smith, and Bishop William R. Cannon. Each had presided over the South Georgia Conference. This church hosted the annual conference session in 1894, 1922, 1938 and 1945. The church was designated a South Georgia United Methodist Historic Site in 1987.