This church was built in 1860, with about thirty-five members meeting in a log school house. Since the "New" Prospect, there must have been a church prior to this whose beginnings have been lost. The first building was a log. Among the earlier pastors was Rev. Bascom Anthony, who served the Waresboro Circuit when he was a young preacher. In 1919, New Prospect was a part of the Waresboro Circuit, Rev. J.G. Hardin pastor, with these churches: Fairfax, Glenmore, Ruskin, Axson, Milwood, and Waresboro. In 1933, Rev. S.P. Clary was the pastor of the Waresboro Charge with New Prospect, Fairfax, Roxie Mae, Glenmore, and Waresboro. It was in that year that the present building was built. In the early 1950s, the inside was remodeled and pews were secured by Rev. F.J. Beverly from a courthouse near Columbus when they replaced theirs. The seats all have a star design on the backs.
In 2002, the church built a new educational wing and fellowship hall with the help of the Calvary Baptist Men's Mission Team from South Carolina.