In 1910, with Rev. Whitley Lanston as presiding elder, records show that permission was granted for a church to be organized in this area. The first stewards, trustees and building committee members were J. C. McFoy, C. T. Melvin, E. M. Kendrick, W. J. Booth, Thomas Perry, Alex Campbell, and W. H. Boatright. On March 9, 1910, permission was granted to build a mission to be known as Washington Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Shortly thereafter, a Sunday school was formed and the pastor was Rev. C.W. Snow. During Rev. R.F. Owen's pastorate, Boggy Bay, and Washington Avenue Sunday schools were combined due to the swampy area and transportation problems. In the early 1940s, a new white framed one-room building was built due to the prior building being too deteriorated. Under the leadership of Rev. Billy Key, an educational building and kitchen were built. Gilchrist Park became a station church and the first full-time pastor was Rev. Carroll Crosby. In 1965, a den, utility and storage room, and extra bathroom were added to the parsonage. The first woman pastor was Mrs. Annie (Morris) Louise Johnson, and during her pastorate, the educational building was renovated. The Modell Brantley Building was completed and dedicated in September 1975.