The church was organized about 1814, in a clearing in the woods where General Longstreet had his headquarters in the War of 1812. Stories regarding the name of the church originate with the "stomping" of the horses during this time period. Although the proposal to change the name has occurred at least twice, the name has remained. The first building was of logs; other frame buildings have followed. A plain, frame building was constructed in 1926. During the pastorate of Rev. Alvin Lynn, this church took on a new life and a new building was constructed adjacent to the frame building. In 1982, a chapel in that building was dedicated to Rev. Lynn.