Ailey UMC - Northeast


History

     The history of Ailey goes back to the time when the railroad was extending its line west from Savannah toward Montgomery, Alabama.  One hundred miles from Savannah lay the town of Mount Vernon in Montgomery County.  Some residents objected to the railroad fearing the engines would scare the livestock.  They determined the tracks and depot would be a mile out of town.  Mr. Alex Peterson, feeling the railroad to be good for business, selected an area out of Mount Vernon and laid out the city of Ailey.  As this community grew and prospered, the need for a House of Worship developed.  The services were held in homes, but soon the congregations became too large.  The church building was completed in 1890, for the 24 members and Rev. J. S. Lewis assigned as pastor.  The building is of native pine painted white.  In 1917, leaded stained glass windows replaced the clear glass.  In 1942, the building was raised to add a lower floor for Sunday School rooms and a kitchen and new pulpit furniture was donated.
     A Ladies Missionary Society was organized in 1898 and the first wedding was held in the church in 1916. 

Location

205 East College Streeet
Ailey GA 30410