The history of Long Pond reaches back to the year 1850, making it one of the earliest churches of Methodism in Montgomery County, formed in 1793. It was in that year that Salem Church was built in an area just a few miles east of the present community of Long Pond. In 1877, the church was relocated in the middle of the Long Pond Community. The present structure was erected in 1901. In 1919, Long Pond was part of the Uvalda Circuit in the McRae District. Rev. J.M. Hancock was the pastor for Alston, Charlottesville, Smyrna, Long Pond and Cedar Crossing. In 1940, it was part of the charge with Mt. Vernon, Ailey, Glenwood and Landsburg. From 1968 to 1984, the church has been on the Mt. Vernon-Ailey charge.
As of 2017, it is on the Mt. Vernon/Long Pond Charge.