During the late 1800s, on the northeast side of Beaver Creek Dam, a church known as Mt. Pleasant Methodist Church was in the Lawtonville Charge, Savannah District. Little is known about the history of the church. In 1903, less than a dozen members were active. At that time, Rev. T. D. Ellis was presiding elder and suggested that a brush arbor be built on the southwest side of the creek so that it was more convenient to the few active members
. The arbor was built and revival held with Rev. J. P. Bross. Services were held at the brush arbor for several years and, in 1905, Rev. T. D. Ellis suggested that a church is built across the road from the brush arbor
. The name was changed to Ellis Chapel in honor of Rev. Ellis. With the help of neighbors and a carpenter, Mr. Mobley, the members salvaged the usable lumber from the Od Mt. Pleasant Church
to build the new frame building. The land was donated by Mrs. Freddie Rackley. When the building was finished in 1906, the members had failed to pay Mr. Mobley in full and so he put a padlock on the door. On Saturday afternoon, one of the stewards passed the church and saw the lock. He was so upset that he visited the members and, by that night, had raised the money and paid the carpenter. Services were held on Sunday as planned. The first Sunday school superintendent was B. H. Smith and his sister, Britie Smith, served as organist. Ellis Chapel was in the Savannah District until 1960
. It then moved to the Dublin District for four years and then to the Statesboro District in 1964.
A new metal roof was added to the church in 2001, and siding was added to the parsonage in 2002. On May 4, 2004, this church held its centennial celebration and had an active mid-week prayer and Bible study group, youth group, and vacation Bible school. In 2005, Ellis Chapel was named one of the top ten giving churches per capita to the Methodist Home for Children and Youth. In 2008, a medical mission trip to Brazil was highly successful and, in 2009, the congregation accepted the challenge to read the entire Bible in a year. Two children from this church were supported in their journey through KidzQuest, a conference led a retreat at Epworth by the Sea in 2010. Two new doors were installed in the front of the church in 2012. Also, in 2012, a goal was reached when 280 pastors completed their three-year training in Kenya, Ethiopia, and Sudan and almost 500 medical needs were addressed in less than four days by the generous support of this ministry by Ellis Chapel. In 2013, this church was again recognized by their support of the Methodist Home for Youth and Children. The altar railing was replaced and the floor covering was replaced in the church and Sunday school rooms in 2014.