In the late 1850s, Dr. Ayer from Rome came to the community to visit his daughter, Mrs. Anderson P. Longstreet, who lived in the community. There was no Methodist church in the area at this time and so Dr. Ayer contributed financially to funding a church. Lewis Grovenstein, Benjamin C. Porter, and A. P. Longstreet was selected to organize the new sanctuary and four acres were selected from property owned by George W. Best
. The new structure was a frame building measuring thirty-five feet by fifty feet by thirteen feet and was completed in December 1859. On March 18, 1860, the church was organized with twenty females and twenty males on the roll. This church was served by two pastors, Rev. B. F. Breedlove and Rev. L. L. Strange. The first quarterly conference was held in September 1866, under the pastorate of Rev. N. D. Morehouse. In 1885, money was collected to "remodel, repair and paint" the church and, in 1886, the roof was extended in the front and pews were built.
In 1917, the Woman's Society was organized by Mrs. George Kilpatrick of Waynesboro with Miss Ruby Porter as president. Mr. Cone Smith and Miss Mertie Parr were the first couples to be married in the church, but they had to wait until the painting of the church was complete. In August 1945, electricity was installed at Mizpah and the first light fixtures were given by Lindsay & Morgan through the efforts of B. C. McCormick. Also in the 1940s, the inside of the sanctuary was remodeled so that the separate entrances and seating for men and women were changed to one double door and one center aisle. In 1953, the wood burning stove was replaced with a gas heater and, in 1958, the roof was replaced. This church celebrated its Centennial anniversary in 1959. A Men's Club was started with monthly meetings for breakfast. The fellowship hall was built and furnished in 1960. Air conditioning, a new well, paint, and carpet have been added and updated.