This church was organized as a Methodist Protestant congregation after a split from Bluff Springs African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1915. A one-room wooden building was located just off of Georgia Highway 390, five miles from Lumpkin. It was named for Rev. G. W. Stephens who was the pastor when the church was organized and the land was given by Mr. Harry Walton, a member of Shady Grove Baptist Church. Since the membership had moved into Lumpkin and the church was badly in need of repair, relocation was considered. In 1981, with the help of Rev. Art Bishop, pastor of the Lumpkin Church and Rev. W. O. Howell, the pastor of Stephen's Chapel, a lot was secured in Singer Heights. A mobile chapel belonging to the conference was moved onto the lot and the chapel opened for services in the new location.