IIn 1868, this church was organized under a brush arbor. Charles Vans gave the land for the church, so it was named in his honor. The first pastor was Rev. Thomas Baker. The present wooden building was erected in 1909. In 1972, when the Coastal District of the North Georgia Conference merged with the South Georgia Conference, this church was placed on the Statesboro Circuit, Statesboro District. The other churches on this circuit were Goloid, Springhead, and Brannen and the pastor were Rev. James White.