Harper's Chapel UMC was organized in September 1873, with twenty-five members and named for Mrs. Haggi Harper who donated the land. The first building, which was blown down twice by wind storms, was rebuilt each time by the twenty-five charter members. Due to urban renewal, the church moved to the present site, home of the late Rev. and Mrs. W. M. McNeil, on April 25, 1967. At this time, the building was brick veneered and mosaic windows were added, a new organ, piano, pew cushions, and carpeting were included. An annex was added which served as a general assembly room, Sunday school classrooms, a pastor's study, and restrooms. In 1976, a church library was dedicated to the church in honor of Mrs. Channie Williams by her daughter, Mrs. Eva M. Parker, and her son, Gervis Jones.