Grace UMC was founded on November 18, 1868, through the efforts of Samuel Gary, who invited the first minister to Brunswick. Rev. J. C. Cruse accepted the invitation and was later appointed by the presiding bishop to become the first pastor. The first services were held in the local high school known as Glynn Academy. The first building was wood and built in 1904. It was first called Albany Street Methodist Church but, under the Rev. James Jackson, the cornerstone was laid and the name changed to Grace Methodist Episcopal Church. In the early 1900s, Rev. William Daniels motivated the church to become youth conscious. In 1940, this church became part of the Central Jurisdiction and, in 1972, became part of the Waycross District. The present building was built in the 1960s. In 1962, Rev. E. N. Graham secured a loan from the Board of Missions to begin and complete the new building. A member, Mrs. Mary E. Dent, was the first Savannah Conference President of the Woman's Home Missionary Society.