Nepsey Methodist Church has its roots in this reach back to the 1872 organization of Old Wesley chapel on the plantation of William James Peterson
. In 1877, by the work of Rev. George Harris, a church was built on this site and the name changed to Nepsey for Mrs. Nepsey Johnson, of whom it was said, "Sister Nepsey Johnson was a steadfast and immovable Christian. She was all church, through and through." Rev. Samuel P. Bryant was the first pastor and Rev. M. P. Moore completed the construction and laid the cornerstone. During the pastorate of Rev. J. M. Strickland, two young men were licensed as exporters
. A strong Christian education program was begun by Sister Lula Lockwood, wife of Rev. W. M. Lockwood. Rev. U. C. Dukes' pastorate was during the loss of many older members by death. In 1959, Nepsey Chapel became a part of the Howard Chapel Charge. During 1974-1977, an improvement program was completed including remodeling, building a fellowship hall and kitchen, and having air conditioning and heating installed. Rev. Amos Holmes was the pastor.
Chapel had its beginning in the early 1900s, in Montgomery County. Land in downtown Mt. Vernon was given by Mr. Warren C. Crawley, a generous black landowner. A white frame building was erected about 1903 and has been in use by the congregation until February 15, 1983
. In 1972, when the Coastal District of the North Georgia Conference merged with the South Georgia Conference, this church became a part of the Dublin District. It was on the Howard Circuit during that year. In 1983, Nepsey Chapel was merged with Warren Chapel to become Nepsey-Warren UMC