In 1874, Munnerlyn Grove Church was organized with five members: Toby Bell, Gallow Jones, Lewis Turner, Willie Roberson, and Sister Eliza Pinckney. The deed, dated December 4, 1893, states that George A. Bolles donated one acre of land to trustees Sam Bell, J. H. Pinckney, Lewis Turner, Andrew Jackson, and Sam Rock. Rev. Samuel Williams was the first pastor. The present church is a wooden building of simple design built many years ago. In 1972, this church was transferred from the Coastal District of the North Georgia Conference to the Waycross District of the South Georgia Conference. It was placed with Haven Memorial and Asbury on the Waynesboro Circuit in the Statesboro District.
Haven Memorial was organized in 1866, with fifteen people meeting in a brush arbor. It is named Haven for Bishop Gilbert Haven, presiding bishop at the time. The first pastor was Rev. James Jackson. Very near this church is the Haven Institute which was built to educate teachers and preachers. In August 1888, the first wooden hut was built. In 1891, the present wooden building was finished. It has stained glass windows and an elevated ceiling to allow for a balcony. This church has hosted District conferences and Sunday school unions. In 1972, this church was transferred from the Coastal District of the North Georgia Conference to the Statesboro District of the South Georgia Conference with Asbury, Munnerlyn, and Nan Williams.
On July 9, 1989, under the administration of our pastor, Rev. Essie C. Simmons, the Asbury, Haven and Munnerlyn United Methodist Churches met at Asbury UMC to formulate plans for a merger. After many discussions and careful planning, the pastor, officers, and members presented the information to the District Superintendent, Rev. Lee Jones, for approval. This being approved, Haven UMC and Munnerlyn UMC became one of December 9, 1990.