Mr. Tom Howard, a member of a distinguished Methodist family in South Carolina, was the leader in the founding of Howard Chapel UMC in 1917. The land for the church was donated by Dr. J. H. Barton. The first pastor was the Rev. A. L. Smith. Charter members included Mr. Tom Howard and his wife Rosa, Mr. Hasten Gordon, two Walker brothers and their sister, Mrs. Pinston, Mr. and Mrs. Robertson and their two daughters, Annie Mae and Minnie Mae, Mrs. Laura Bohanna and her two daughters and two sons. A frame church was built on a South Washington Street site, near the corner of William Street. The church was dedicated in 1925. Tom Howard and H. C. Gordon were the trustees and Rev. H. W. Kimball was the pastor. The organization of the church consisted of a Sunday school with three classes, an Epworth League for youth, which met every Sunday at 6:00 pm, and the Ladies Aid Society, which met every Tuesday night after Prayer Meeting. The Ladies Aid Society bought the first organ and Mrs. H. W. Kimball, the pastor's wife, was the first organist.
Under the pastorate of Rev. Amos Holmes in 1954, Howard Chapel experienced a time of tremendous growth. Membership grew from forty-five people to one hundred-sixteen people, Sunday school classes increased from three to eight and active organizations included the Woman's Society of Christian Service, UMYF and Boy Scouts. The Day Care Center was also started in 1954. The parsonage was sold under the pastorate of Rev. Lenton H. Powell and the present parsonage was bought in 1966. The ground was broken for the education building in 1967, and the bu
ilding was completed in October 1969. Howard Chapel was a part of the Georgia Conference, Central District from 1939-1971, when it was moved to the North Georgia Conference and, finally, into the South Georgia Conference in 1972. June 1975, saw Howard's Chapel Charge be voted Charge of the Year for the Dublin District
. This church was made a station church with a full-time pastor in November 1976. In December 1976, under the pastorate of Rev. Amos H. Holmes, a sanctuary was built annexed to the education building. In 1980, Rev. Amos Holmes was recognized as being a full member of the annual conferences for forty-five years.