Earlier, Brother Zachery Butler had preached to the slaves from the Owens, King, and Clinch plantations. This church began in a brush arbor near three plantations. The 1896 wooden building was made from trees which were taken to the mill in Celon and cut into boards, then loaded on rafts, and floated to Owens Ferry where they were brought by ox carts to the site. A storm blew this church down and, in 1901, on land given by J. H. M. Clinch, a new building was built. Rev. A. B. Fish was the pastor.
Rev. C. O. Gordonwas appointed pastor in 1952 and he accepted the challenge of a new church building. In 1963, the foundation for the present church was started. In 1972, this church was part of the Coastal District of the North Georgia Conference, which merged with the South Georgia Conference that year. It was on the Nahunta Circuit and became part of the Waycross District. In 1893, this church became part of the Woodbine Circuit.