This church was built in 1886, on land given by the Dodge Lumber Co. and this is probably where the name originated. It is thought that the timber for the church was cut from trees on the land given for the site. Rev. W.D. McGregor was the first pastor. This original building was destroyed by a wind in the early 1920s and immediately rebuilt
. It is interesting to note that this is the same company that owned the land where Epworth by the Sea is now located. Timber from this section was rafted down the Ocmulgee River and held in a "holding pond" there on St. Simons that is the oxidation pond for Epworth by the Sea. In 1919, this church was on the Lumber City Circuit but, in 1920, it was placed with Helena. In 1962, it was transferred to Lumber City again. It was part of the McRae District during the time it existed.
In 1965, two Sunday school rooms were added by church members. During the late 1960s, a deep well was donated, the Education Wing was added, and the cemetery was enlarged by the donation of one acre of land. In June 2014, the church was moved from the dissolved Americus District to the newly organized South Central District.