The Albany City Board of Missions realized the need for a United Methodist Church to serve the spiritual needs of the East Albany Community in the vicinity of Five Points. Under the leadership of Mrs. C. C. Sapp and other of the board, a lot was purchased and tent obtained by the pastor, Rev. Robert Wilcox. The first service was held on July 13, 1952. The church was chartered in October 1952, with seventy-one members. A board of steward was appointed with B. J. Dixon serving as chairman. The sanctuary was completed before the end of 1952. The first service to be held in the permanent sanctuary was on November 2, 1952. Under the pastorate of Rev. Max Hill, the parsonage was purchased in August 1954, in the form of a house next door to the church. The church building was becoming inadequate due to growth and another church building was secured and dedicated on October 16, 1955.
Under the leadership of Rev. Gordon King, groundbreaking for the new and permanent home of the Morningside UMC was held on June 22, 1958. This site was located in the Five Points area. The new construction was planned to consist of a sanctuary with seating for 400 people, 14 Sunday school classrooms and provisions for adding more space as needed in the future. The church was completed and dedicated on December 21, 1958. A lot was given by Mr. A. H. Tompkins and a brick parsonage were built and paid off by
In 1981, a children's daycare center was started but closed in 1986. A Kimball organ was donated by the Rhodes family in 1982. The church van was bought in 1985. In January 1994, three members, Lucile Garrison, Lon Huff and Betty Huff, traveled to the Holy Land and in March the Prime Timers group was created. The parking lot was finished in January 1995, a permanent church sign added in 1996.
In 2003, Morningside UMC welcomed the El Faro Hispanic congregation to the church with these services being held after the main service. Members fill approximately 225 shoe boxes for the Shoe Box Ministry through Lifeline. Homecoming is celebrated each October by inviting former pastors to preach and Holy Week is observed in a community-wide event with lunch and services being held at different churches throughout the week. The UMW is active with pledges being paid and district events being supported. In 2015, the church was repainted and redecorated and a convenient handrail was built in the sanctuary. Just this year, the El Faro Hispanic congregation acquired a church building of their own to hold services and other activities with Morningside UMC donating their church van to the ministry.