Organized as a mission of First Church in 1925, Palmyra Road UMC was originally named Grace. It met in a community house owned by Flint River Cotton Mill until the first building with sanctuary and five Sunday school rooms was completed in 1926. A. C. Knight was the contractor. In 1952, the church voted to move, and in 1953 a new church, in Dougherty County, was constructed at the present location and the name Palmyra Road chosen as the new church name. In 1955, a new classroom building and kitchen and recreation hall were added. The church was brick veneered in 1964 and expanded in 1967
The steeple was built in 1974, a gift of Mrs. C. D. McKnight as a memorial to Mr. Joel T. Haley. The new library was dedicated in 1978. During the 1970s, the church had active youth groups, adult, and youth choirs, UMW, UMM, Vacation Bible School, supported missionaries in Bangladesh and started a Young Adult Sunday School class
. During the 1980s, an Acolyte Program began, a new adult Sunday school class, Pairs, and Spares, was started, a new sound system installed in the sanctuary, and stained glass windows dedicated. In 1991, Palmyra Road UMC was Church of the Year for the Macon District. In 1992, the first Easter sunrise service was held on the church lawn.