Organized at Raiford, now Lester, in 1870, this church was earlier known as Shiloh. Its first wooden building, lighted by beef tallow candles placed on wooden strips around the walls, also served as a school. In 1875, the site was moved and a large log church and school building was built. "Preacher Russell" was the first pastor. In 1882, the site was moved four miles west of the 1875 site and a wooden building was erected and furnished with long benches with solid backs and lighted by oil chandeliers. In 1902, the present gothic structure was erected. A fellowship hall was added in 1967.
On April 28, 2002, the church celebrated 100 years as Baconton. During 2002-2007, the church started a Bible study group, made repairs and improvements to the church and fellowship hall, had Vacation Bible School and donated 50 school bags to UMCOR. In 2007, the church ladies donated 100 gift-filled shoe boxes to children's orphanages in Mexico and, in 2010, they donated 100 teddy bears to local police departments to be used for children in emergencies. The church continues to host a monthly Gospel sing, Sunday School, the Bible study group, and a choir.