This church began as the Spring Creek Mission and was organized in 1867 in a field with 20 members. Rev. Willis M. Russell, a local preacher, was the first pastor and served for the four years the church was known as Spring Creek. The first building was constructed of logs and had no window shutters or doors. The church was next named Mt. Zion, and at some time, the second building of frame construction was built
. During this period, the people came to church in wagons and buggies, and the ladies dismounted on a special "Stepping Stone," hewn from a rock for this purpose. This stone has been moved to the present churchyard. The present building was built in 1901; the pulpit and choir loft were remodeled and Sunday school room added in 1933. In the 1950s new windows were placed in the church and it was air-conditioned. In 1963 a social hall, constructed of blocks, named Wade Hodges Hall, was built and dedicated on the 100th anniversary of the church, August 20, 1967. The first parsonage burned in 1918 but was rebuilt as a gift of Mr. C. S. Hodges.