This church was first organized as a Sunday school in 1867, which met in the home of Mrs. Julia Hall and had twenty members. In 1873, the first building, a one-room white frame structure with arched windows, was erected. The first pastor was Rev. T. J. Colquitt. Until 1900, the church was a member of the Bold Springs charge; it became a station in 1904. A second building was erected in 1902 and was replaced with the present building in 1927. The sanctuary has a rose window behind the pulpit. In the 1970s, a large fellowship hall which contains a dining room, recreation room, classrooms, and chapel was built under the leadership of Dr. Loy Veal. In 1959, the church helped to organize Friendship Church in northeast Cairo. In 1976, the church organized the first Walk-a-Thon for Vashti. A number of members of the church have participated in Volunteers in Mission since 1980.
The church celebrated its Centennial in November 1967. In 1992, the church had active UMW, United Methodist Men, UMYF, Scouts, and Children's Beacon programs. Tired Creek UMC merged with Cairo First in January 1993.