First known as Possum Shuffle
, this church was organized in 1872. Its first building was a log structure used also as a school. The first pastor was Rev. William Powell, who was assisted by Sam Cassels, a layman. Rev. Walter C. Jones was the first ordained minister of the Metcalf Circuit, this church's earlier charge. In 1884, the present building was erected across the road from the log structure by the laymen and named in honor of the 100th anniversary of the first Methodist Conference in America, 1784. The sanctuary was divided by a lattice rail, men sitting on one side and women on the other. Nail holes are still visible down the backs of center pews where the rail was attached. Before 1961, the building was heated by wood; each member brought a few pieces for each service. The outside walls have been covered with cypress shingles.
In 1961, gas heaters were installed. In 1962, a dozen new song books and a piano were donated. During the late 1960s, a kneeling bench was added around the chancel rail. Trees were cut and sold and fish fries held to add funds to the church improvement fund.