This church was organized in 1877, in a room at the Leary Hotel as a study group. Eleven members then built a brush arbor for services on two acres of land. Lumber for seats was brought from Dawson, Georgia, and sawdust for the floor. The first preacher was "Uncle" Billy Stewart. He was followed by a Mr. Culpepper, a traveling evangelist, and Miss Annie Bagley, a "sanctified woman who prayed and spoke in the church," though records show that many members did not approve of a woman speaking in the church. The first church, nailed together with wooden pins 3 inches in diameter, was completed in 1878. In 1908, the first building was sold, and another lot was given for a new building which was built, paid for, and dedicated in four months. Rev. E.W. Gray was the pastor then. When this building burned in 1956, the present building was erected. In 1974, the church bought and furnished a new parsonage, installed red carpet in the church, and paved its parking lot. In 1975, the church interior was painted and a new roof put on the parsonage.