This church was organized in 1946 to replace the Cotton Church whose members had disbanded after a wind storm destroyed the church in 1923. The twenty charter members first met in the Assembly of God church and then moved to the school until the building was erected. The first pastor was Rev. G.W. Bates with Nathan Williams, assistant. During reorganization, Rev. Bernard Brown came from Pelham one Sunday afternoon a month. The church was named to honor the memory of Dr. M. M. Burns of Pelham who gave much time and money to the organizing of the church and erecting the building. In 1961, when hail extensively damaged the building, additions were made when it was repaired. The church was completely renovated in 1969.
In 1969, a Sunday night fellowship for Bible study was organized. In 1993 Antioch UMC merged with Burns Memorial. The church celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1998.