First called Fish Pond Church, then Turkey Pen Church, this congregation was established in 1858 by founding families Gee, Williford, Lewis, Burford, Whitcomb and Joiner. Land for the church was donated by Steve Hurst. The first pastor was Rev. W. M. Kennedy. In 1874, Wyche McElveen and B. H. Gee built an arbor at the present location given by Mr. Gee. Due to controversy about the location, it was decided to build the church one mile north on land given by Mr. McElveen. The man who lived across from the proposed location opposed it bitterly, saying that a church should not be built in front of a "gentleman's" house. J. M. Bell then gave land 1/2 mile northeast of the present location and a building was started, but before completion a tornado destroyed it. A Church was then built on the present location and used until it burned in 1884. The church again moved to a site given by Mr. Bell and Dr. Faircloth. This building was used until 1914 when it was razed and a new building erected. Shortly after completion, the building was blown down by a tornado, rebuilt immediately, but it was again blown down. Deciding that the location was not right, the members relocated to the present property given by Mr. Gee and erected the present church in 1915. The church was renovated and Sunday School rooms were added in 1945 and a social hall, library, and other improvements at later dates.
On Harvest Day each November, church members were asked to donate the income from 1 acre of their pecan orchards to the building fund. As of 1989, the church had an active MYF, Adult Sunday School class, Men's Club and Missionary Society.