Though formally organized on September 7, 1947, the roots of this church go back to 1868. In that year, William Henry Cook and his wife Annis Kelley Cook were building a new home when their twelve-year-old daughter Eliza died and was buried in the yard of the new home, beginning what is now Cooks Cemetery. Through the years, though the family moved away, they returned to inter-family members in the cemetery. They often spoke of the need for a church on the spot and twice started. On July 4, 1946, Charlie Willis Cook suggested to a family gathering that another start is made. The community contributed and Babcock Brothers Lumber Company, which then owned the land, gave the site. During building, Rev. J. W. Patterson and Rev.
Nath Williams came from Colquitt to hold services under the pines. Rev. James W. May was the first pastor and, in 1963, a new sanctuary was built. The former sanctuary was converted to Sunday school rooms, social hall, and kitchen. The Trustees during 1947 were Charlie Willis Cook, Dorsey Kimbrel, and Dole Cook and the Sunday school superintendent was Cecil Cook. A parsonage was added in 1973. An organ was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Dole Cook in April 1976. In June 1982, a full-time pastor was appointed. The charge was chosen "Charge of the Year" for 1970.