The Methodists were having services in this area before Adel became a town. In 1886, the Stella Circuit of 6 churches held its quarterly conference at Antioch, five miles from the present city of Adel. The other churches were Trinity, Salem, New Hope, Wesley Chapel, and Shiloh. With the coming of the railroad and a large sawmill, the Methodists began services in a railroad shanty. Rev. J.M. Hendry organized Adel Church in 1888. The first building was erected in 1889, and painted in 1891, with a bell and new seats added. Two buildings in different locations were built before the present brick building,which has stained glass windows by Tiffany, was begun in 1916, but not finished until 1925. The flu epidemic of 1918 was so severe that those who gave themselves without thought for their own safety were very rare. Such was the Methodist preacher, Rev. A.H. Robinson. He ministered to all races and kinds as doctor, nurse, maid, and priest. In 1949 the educational building was erected and later enlarged. In 1953, a new parsonage was built. In the 1970's, much of the church was renovated with new equipment purchased, a church library was dedicated and Bishop Cannon dedicated the Hickson Social Hall.
During the 1980's a senior citizen church group was formed called "Young at Heart", a new piano was placed in the Social Hall, in memory of Mrs. Addie Tillman, a youth director and a choir director were hired and several members participated in Volunteers-in-Mission to Costa Rica. 1988 marked the 100 year anniversary of the church.