In the 1930s, the Woodlawn Mission was conducted by laypersons. One of those was John Green Herring and, in recognition of his devotion, the name was changed. In 1945, Rev. J. A. Roundtree took charge for a year, holding services twice a month. It was placed on the Sycamore charge in 1945, and Rev. Kell Hinson was the first assigned pastor. It has been on the Chula Circuit and the Brookfield Circuit and, for a period, was served by the associate pastor of Tifton FUMC. The original wooden shelter, in which the mission began, was replaced with a wooden sanctuary located at Bellview Avenue and Poplar Street until 1941 when it moved to its present location on a lot given by Miss "Pat" Martha
Fulwood. Its characteristic has been an outreach program for children and youth in the Woodlawn community and, in 1973, an outreach to an isolated nearby community.
Under Rev. Steve Bullington's pastorate in 1984, Fay Pickel came to this church to play piano for services, teach music to children in the daycare program, and pick up lunches and grocery shop. Fay Pickel and Marilyn Wright led programs for children called "The Happy Hour" where they taught scripture, played games, made crafts, and served refreshments. They also began the Vacation Bible School program for over seventy children participating the first year. Rev. Vandy Simmons came to Herring in 1988 as a student. Rev. Willie Lucas was assigned to Herring in 1989 and worked with the youth choir
. In 1990, Rev. Brenda Inglehart was assigned to Herring Memorial UMC. She revitalized the Sunday school program, trained and recruited acolytes and ushers, organized the Adult and Youth choir, taught Bible study, and celebrated communion every Sunday. The Green House Project was organized under her leadership as well. The parsonage was paid in full in 1993.