In May 1915, Rev. F. A. Ratcliffe, an evangelist, set up his tent at Harding and began preaching the word. During this three week revival, 44 people joined the Methodist Church and, thus, the church was organized. In 1916, the present sanctuary was built on a two-acre plot donated by Captain H. H. Tift. The Rev. R. W. Canon, appointed to the Poulan Circuit, became the first pastor. Sunday school was started in 1915, with the first superintendent being George W. Blizzard.
In the 1930s, Harding was named the Most Outstanding Rural Church in the South Georgia Conference. The Woman’s Society of Christian Service was organized in 1950, with Mrs. Robert Lee as the first president. In 1959, the interior of the church was remodeled with new pews and new pulpit furniture. In 1962, the old classrooms were torn down and a two-story block building constructed which included classrooms, a library, and a social hall. In 1972, members voted to brick veneer the church sanctuary. The first Harvest Festival Day was held on November 9, 1958, with Rev. Gibbs Liggin as pastor.