2020 Virtual Annual Conference Session: Read wrap-up articles, watch archived AC session & worship services

Funston UMC - Southwest


History

In the early years of 1900, W. E. Hunnicutt would drive his preacher friend, Rev. W. H. Budd, to Funston for a preaching service one Sunday afternoon a month. The service was held at Union, a little schoolhouse. In 1904, W. N. Manning moved to Funston and was distressed that there was no Methodist church in his new town. Mr. W. H. Spivey donated land, funds were gathered, labor donated, and the doors of the one-room frame church were opened in 1905. The pastor was Rev. G. F. Hendry and trustees were J. L. Robinson, J. L. Lewis, and W. N. Manning. There were thirty-three charter members. A Sunday school was soon organized on Sunday afternoons so that the Baptists worshipping next door could also attend.
 
After many years of financial strain, in 1941, Rev. I. P. Tyson came to the church and launched a campaign to build a new church. In August 1949, the ground was broken on a lot given by Rev. and Mrs. H. E. Wells. Rev. Wells went on to buy the former church so that funds would be present to build the new sanctuary. The new brick church and educational facilities were opened on May 7, 1950. In 1955, the house next door to the church was purchased from Rev. Wells to be used as a parsonage. In February 1991, a new social hall was dedicated and a new metal roof was installed in August 2008. 

 

Location

103 East Mulberry St
Funston GA 31781

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters

Contact

Conference Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Administrative Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.