This church's first building, in 1856, was on the site of the City Cemetery. At that time, the town, in Lanier County, was called Milltown, GA. When a tornado destroyed the building, the church met in the school behind the courthouse. A second building was erected on Church Street in 1884. At the 1939 Vacation Bible School, the children began the building fund for the present church by "bringing a brick" (donation) a day. This building, completed in 1949, was dedicated by Bishop Arthur J. Moore in the 1950s. In 1967, a library was established as a memorial to George Emory Swindle. The present parsonage, the fourth, was dedicated by Bishop John Owen Smith in 1968, Rev. W.G. Brown the pastor. The second parsonage had become Rev. L.D. McConnell's retirement home. Since 1907, the women have been actively organized through each organization to the present. In 1867, as Milltown, this church was in the Brunswick District. In 1882, it was on the Nashville Circuit, Waycross District, with Shiloh, Naylor, Antioch, and Salem. From 1894-2014 it was in the Valdosta District. Lakeland has been a station since 1959.
Lakeland UMC was voted Church of the Year for the Valdosta District in 1985. During 1984-1985, the church had quarterly Family Night Suppers, held two drama productions, "The Living Last Supper” at Easter and "On the Road to Bethlehem" at Christmas, and renovated the church buildings to add a church sound system, new sanctuary lighting and refinish sanctuary furnishings. In 2004, the church held various children's programs including Sunday School Promotion Sunday and the Easter Bunny Visit. In 2007, the church partnered with Lanier County Elementary School to provide food for the needy through the church's community food pantry.