During the American Revolutionary War, a British soldier named Camel fought against his son who had joined the American Army. As a result, Camel disinherited his son. The son changed his name to Pharaoh. After the war, Pharaoh began to preach the Gospel. He preached in North Carolina before coming to Georgia. Preaching first in northern Burke County, in the early 1800s he came to Jefferson County. Here he preached in a one-room schoolhouse on land owned by William Parker. In 1824, William Parker gave a thirty-acre tract of land to be used for the site of the first church building. This building was erected in 1825 by the Andersons, Arringtons, Avretts, Beckums, Daniels, Farmers, Matthews, Palmers, and Parkers. In 1827, a campground was organized. Services were held under a brush arbor behind the church building. In 1828 a tabernacle was built. In 1829 fire destroyed the church building, tabernacle, and the tents that had been built on the campground. In the early days, the church was part of the Louisville District. A new church building was built the same year, but the tabernacle was not rebuilt until 1856. In November of 1856, fire again destroyed all the buildings. In 1857 the buildings were again re-built only to be blown down by a tornado in 1875. Members re-built the buildings again.
During the next few years, the Wrens Methodist Church and the Mosely Chapel Methodist Church combined with Mt. Moriah to make a church Charge. In 1940 Keysville Methodist Church was also added to the Charge. Since 1941, the campground and the church have been under separate management. In 1941-1947 the church building was remodeled and dedicated in March 1947, by Bishop Arthur Moore. The present parsonage was built in Matthews, GA when Wrens Methodist Church became a station church in 1956. The parsonage was built on land given by H.C. Barrow. In the early 1960s, a church annex building was built. In 1968 the Mt. Moriah-Keysville Charge moved from the Dublin District to the Statesboro District. Mt. Moriah became a station church in 1976 during the ministry of Rev. L.H. Wester, Jr. and a steeple was added in 1978. The church was named Church of the Year in 1977, 1978, and in 1989. It was named South Georgia Conference Town and Country Church of the Year in 1992. In the 1980s the Church and Annex Building were remodeled, new air conditioners installed, new outdoor carpet added, and Jeff Jones donated and planted new shrubbery. In the late 1980s the parsonage was remodeled, a United Methodist Men group started, and a new organ donated by the Penningtons. In 1991 the inside of the sanctuary was painted.