Around 1870, this church began as Spatcher Chapel when the black members withdrew from Traders' Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The wooden building, in Charlton County, was erected on land donated by A. G. Gowen. In the middle 1950s, the pastor was Nathan Charlton, who had been a missionary to Liberia in his younger days. He was instrumental in securing land and erecting the church building in Folkston. In the late 1960s, remodeling began on the old building, and in 1974 the present sanctuary was built with the help of conference work teams and members of the church. Before 1972, this church was a part of the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church, and with the merger of the Coastal District of the North Georgia Conference with the South Georgia Conference this church became part of the Waycross District and part of the King Solomon Charge. In 1983, it was placed on the newly formed St. Mary's Circuit with Greater Trinity in St. Mary's, and Carnegie in Kingsland.