The church was organized in 1889, in a schoolhouse with Rev. C. T. Clarke occasionally preaching. Both the Methodist Church and the Baptist Church in this community started from a revival of Rev. Clarke's with the Methodists continuing under Rev. Clark and the Baptists being led by Hamp J. Arnett. The first conference was held on March 23, 1890, with Rev. W. J. Robertson as pastor. The Sunday school was organized on December 4, 1890, with Mr. George Heard as superintendent. The land for the church was given by Mr. George Heard in 1890 and Rev. J. C. Flanders was the first to preach in the new sanctuary. The church was dedicated on April 15, 1900. The presiding elder of the Savannah district, Rev. J. A. Thomas, preached the dedicatory sermon. The parsonage was built in 1892 but struck by lightning on July 1, 1959
. It burned completely and many church records were lost. The Sylvania fire truck wrecked on its way to answer the call but there were no serious injuries. The parsonage was immediately rebuilt on lots purchased from J. C. Kea. The annex was completed in 1966. Under the pastorate of Rev. Michael Ricker, the sanctuary was remodeled, including the installation of eleven stained-glass windows.