2020 Virtual Annual Conference Session: Read wrap-up articles, watch archived AC session & worship services

Clinton UMC - North Central


History

The land was apportioned for this church in 1810, and, on July 14, 1821, a deed to the Clinton Methodist Church was made effective. This was the first Methodist church in Jones County. The historical marker states that it was a "frame house with good dimensions with substantial stone steps of native granite." A gallery for use by the slaves, many of whom were members, was removed in 1897. Around 1900, this church was the first to organize a foreign missionary society which was a male-dominated society not to be confused with the Woman's Missionary Society. Rev. Lovick Pierce and Rev. James Payne were early pastors of this church before 1850. Clinton has been on the charge with Gray, so has been in the North Georgia Conference before 1970, when it was reassigned to the South Georgia Conference.

 

Location

110 Old Hwy 18
Gray GA 31032

Stay in the know

Sign up for our newsletters

Contact

Conference Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Administrative Office

3040 Riverside Dr., Suite A-2 - Macon, GA 31210

PO Box 7227 - Macon, GA 31209

478-738-0048 | 800-535-4224

Camping & Retreat Ministries

99 Arthur J. Moore Dr - St Simons Is., GA 31522

PO Box 20408 - St Simons Island, GA 31522

912-638-8626 | 888-266-7642

Contact us

Open hearts. Open minds. Open doors.