One mile south of Round Oak was the old, log church and field school. There is no recorded date of the building or the denomination of this church and school. However, in 1875, the original Sunshine church was started with a cemetery adjacent to the property where early members were buried. It was a sturdy, log structure with a center aisle and hand-hewn log pews. On Sunday, July 31, 1864, a battle between Confederates and Yankees battled here and the church was used as a Union army hospital. The nearby Haskell home was also used to house wounded Yankee soldiers. Gen. Sherman burned the church on November 21, 1864.
The name of the church was changed to Sunshine II for Old Sunshine which was burned in 1864. The reason Round Oak's Methodist Church was named Sunshine is that the people who belonged to the old church are on the register at Round Oak an
d many are buried in the cemetery nearby.
A second structure was built on the hill at Round Oak by Henry Marshall. The land was given by Robert and Sallie Smith and the trustees were J. M. Hunt, George B. J. White, R. J. Smith, W. F. White, Samuel Gordon, H. J. Marshall, J. P. Hunt and A. A. Bardfield. The dedication sermon was given by Rev. Sam Jones on the test John 3:16. The first funeral and first grave in the cemetery belonged to Sallie Smith. In 1940, the church was repaired, electric lights put in, two Sunday school rooms added, the plastering removed and wallboard placed over storm sheeting. A new roof was added in 1952, and a coal heater installed in 1945. Two additional classrooms were added in 1956. The centennial anniversary was celebrated in 1975, with dinner on the grounds. Rev. D. S. Windom gave the sermon and solos by John Lewis Harrell and Mrs. Fran Bragg were given.