A lay preacher, Osburn Rogers from Hancock County, moved to Monroe County in 1821 and brought a Methodist Society with him. The settled east of Culloden on what is known as the Macon-Thomaston Road on Highway 74.
On September 6, 1826, five acres of land was deeded to the following trustees: John Brown, Enoch Brown, William Swan, James D. Lester, Edmund Jackson, P. Woodward, G. Rogers, and John W. Jordan. The property was deeded by Henry Kendall for the sum of one dollar with the specification that the land be used as a church and school. A church was immediately built, used as a school as well, and called Rogers Methodist Church. As of 2017 the building is the second structure of Rogers Church and was built in 1880. The sills are hewn logs and much of the interior was done by hand.
Some of the first families of the old church were the Scotts, Evans, Rankins, Jacksons, Johnsons, Lesters, Allens, Robinsons, Barfields, Tharpes, Banks, Chancellors, Holstons, Elliots, Lanes, Morans, Welds, Hanes, Crumbleys, Whites, Colemans, Daniels, Childs, Sharps, Bishops, Peters, and Rogers. In 1946, while Rev. Frank Jenkins was the pastor, the church had electricity for the first time.
The addition of the new Sunday school building was completed in May 1967, providing three classrooms to teach the children, who were previously taught in members’ automobiles.
Bathrooms were built in October 1981, replacing the two outhouses that had served the church for many years. Several years later, during Rev. Mark Hopkins’ pastorate, a steeple was erected on the church. A light was also added to the steeple to serve as a beacon for those traveling Highway 74 at night.
The Fellowship building was built and dedicated in 1999. Dinners and special occasions could then be held indoors in case of bad weather. The concrete tables used prior to this addition remain behind the building.
In June 2005, new stained glass windows were installed. Each window depicts a memorable event in the life of Jesus. The following year the property next door was purchased to serve as additional Sunday school rooms if necessary. Since then, a wheelchair ramp and handicap bathroom were added.
The following ministers have served Rogers UMC: W. W. Winn, J. E. Ward, O. E. Smith, Clyde Lancaster, E. A. Ware, M. M. Walraven, Douglas Gibson, O. J. Sheets, Frank Jenkins, J. J. Copeland, A. E. Williams, J. T. Moore, W. W. Cochran, Joh W. Miller, William Schoonover, Terry Markings, Anthony Yarbrough, Mark Hopkins, Max Harrell, and H. Eugene Barlow.
One former member of this church, Rev. Malcolm Coleman, entered the ministry and served the North Georgia Conference until his retirement in June 1977. As of 2017, we have 58 members on our roll. Most of the active members today can trace their roots back to the members of the original members of the church.