Before Byromville was incorporated, this church was organized as Friendship M. E. Church by Mr. Thomas Sweatinger, an early landowner. It was located on the east side of Turkey Creek. In 1852, a second building was erected on a new site, and a third in 1855 on the site of the present building. That wooden building was moved and a brick one erected in 1908, is dedicated in 1912
. Classrooms, social hall, and kitchen were added in 1949. Between 1965 and 1970, the entire building was renovated, stained glass windows repaired and an impressive historical marker added. In 1966, a new brick parsonage was completed on Patterson Street.
In 1977, a larger fellowship hall was built and dedicated on March 1, 1981. A Memorial Garden adjacent to the church was landscaped and planted in 2001. In 2006, the church's "Cuddle Therapy" committee presented Pinehill Nursing Center with 101 stuffed animals for the residents. In 2007, using part of the Heritage Fund, a nursery, storage rooms, and a library were added and a large fenced playground completed on the north side of the church. This new addition was dedicated at Homecoming on January 19, 2009, with Bishop James King officiating.