Cordele FUMC was organized in 1887, in the Cordele Academy, where services were held until the first building was completed in 1891. It is the oldest church in the city. The first service was held on the third Sunday in January 1887, with 75 people attending and Rev. John Wesley Conners officiating. The simple, white building was large enough to host the 1891 session of the South Georgia Conference. The present building was erected in 1914. The outgrown building was donated to Bethel C.M.E. Church (the lumber went into the foundation of the new Bethel Church and the bell was donated to Holsey-Cobb Institute, a Methodist supported mission). In 1922, this congregation helped to establish Midway, and in 1958, Peavy Memorial. The South Georgia Annual Conference meeting was hosted at Cordele FUMC in 1915 and 1941. A Sunday school addition was completed in 1960, the education building was expanded in 1981, and an activities center was added in 1997.
Seeking to reach out to the Spanish speaking community, Cordele FUMC opened its doors, heart, and mind to incorporate a Hispanic ministry. A high school teacher began teaching English as a second language in the facility for free. Then a small group of twelve began meeting for Sunday school in 2000. In 2001, a full worship service with its own pastoral family, choir, and Sunday school began. After more than fifteen years, Nuevo Pacto Hispanic Ministry continues to serve and minister to others as an integral part of Cordele FUMC.
The 2008 renovation of the sanctuary began with an act of generosity from two sisters who left a substantial portion of their estate for the improvement of the physical structure. Work included the reconstruction of the pulpit platform and choir area, adding entry doors from each narthex utilizing original leaded glass, major modifications to the rear hallway, restroom areas, balcony and sound booth, and new paint and flooring.
A contemporary worship service called Emerge was added on September 25, 2011. This service is held in the Activities Center and is led by the Emerge Praise Band. This new service has added members and small groups to the church. A complete renovation of the education spaces began in 2015. Electronic surveillance and security were implemented for the entire church campus. Adult classrooms were updated and the library is now where the former kitchen was. Office space for eight staff members, a workroom, and storage area were also added.