The land on which the church is now located was bought from Indians by a newcomer from Virginia named Reuben Morgan Rainey. The early beginnings of this church are centered on the preaching of Jimmy Stewart, Billy Stewart, and Billy Cheney, two of whom became itinerary ministers. This church was organized in 1857 and met in a log building until the present building was constructed
. The ponds in the area eventually led the residents to seek a healthier location so they moved a mile away on land purchased from Captain Robert Burton. The town name was changed from Pond Town to Ellaville, named for Captain Burton's daughter Ella. Mr. Frederick Green gave financial support to build Ellaville MECS but also provided two skilled carpenters, his slaves. The present building is a testimony to the skill of these carpenters and the quality of their materials as the original timbers, hand-hewn, are still in good shape. An early pastor, Rev. Robert F. Williamson, in addition to his help in funding construction costs, was instrumental in the organizing and building of Hopewell and Andrew Chapel. Rev. John B. Bright was the first pastor assigned to the conference after its organization
. The Rev. John F. Berry, who served the church during the Civil War, was killed by lightning while sitting in his study at the parsonage. Another minister of note was Rev. J. T. Ainsworth, whose son went on to become a Methodist minister and, eventually, bishop. In 1903, under Rev. L. A. Hill's pastorate, the building was brick veneered. The Sunday school annex was added in 1920, while B. F. Jordan was the pastor and the educational building was added in 1951, under Rev. T. M. Lee's leadership. The centennial year found Rev. J. E. Lackey at the helm. Other notable leaders include Charles C. Wall, who was Sunday school superintendent for nearly 40 years, and Dr. C. H. Smith, who served the same position for more than 50 years.
During the 1900s, Ellaville became a station church and had its first full-time pastor, Rev. Brooks Partain. Rev. Marion Edwards also led this church before becoming a bishop. The church has purchased the John Gill House, added a Prayer Chapel, a handicapped ramp, a barbeque pit, and a fenced playground. Some of the additions were completed through Boy Scout Eagle projects. The church children meet every Wednesday for activities, and church youth meet Sundays and often go on mission trips.