This church began in 1852, with the circuit preacher, Rev. James Bradford Smith, as the first pastor. The present church was built in 1892. It had hand-hewn pews and lamps suspended from the ceiling. In the very beginning, the women sat to one side of the center aisle and the men the other. There was a special place provided for the black members. In 1865, the Confederate government requisitioned all the metal, and this church bell was ready to be shipped, but the war ended and the bell was put back in the tower. In 1876, all the black members withdrew to form their own church. In 1918, Oglethorpe and Ideal and Mission included Oglethorpe, Ideal, Garden Valley and Corinth, Rev. L.B. McMichael was the pastor. In 1940, the charge included the same churches except, Garden Valley was replaced by Pine Level.
In the 1950s, an educational annex was added and the parsonage was rebuilt. In the early 1960s, a new organ and central heat/air were added in the sanctuary. In 1977, the sanctuary was redecorated, including new memorial pews, and the educational complex expanded. In 2005, the church supported the Magnolia Manor residence in Ideal, GA, with the donation of an organ and door decorations for the residents at Christmas.